The Power of Your Breath is Amazing! Do you ever feel so overwhelmed that you literally forget to breathe? When you are stressed do you take shorter more shallow breaths?
When things feel crazy and you feel overwhelmed, take a moment away to focus on your breath… this is essential to clear your mind, help you focus and release tension. It may often seem like it’s the last thing you actually have time to do, but a mini-break for a few deep full breaths can make a huge difference in your sense of well-being. Here’s why:
- A few deep breaths can relax your body and release tension. I don’t know about you, but my jaw clenches really tight when I’m stressed!
- A few deep breaths can bring calm to your mind. It’s amazing how being away from your inbox for a few short minutes can help ease your worries.
- A few deep breaths can give you clarity and new solutions. Changing your geography can do wonders for inspiring new ideas and de-cluttering the brain.
- A few deep breaths can make you feel a sense of control. You suddenly become aware of the fact that you ARE indeed the one breathing in and out. You don’t have to rely on anyone else for this!
- A few deep breaths can remind you that, at the end of the day, breath brings you life. You would literally die without it…
Allow yourself to manage and be in control of your thoughts…
Having a pranayama or meditation practice will allow you to escape and manage your thoughts, therefore resulting in positive actions. Or start a regular yoga practice, this will also help you learn how to “be” and how to take you out of your own head. We often spend too much time letting our thoughts run our lives.
Visit one of our Deep Stretch & Relaxation, or Yang & Yin classes if you need to calm your mind — It’s true that what we’re trying to do when we go to yoga is to manage that busy head, control the massive amount of thinking and find some inner peace and a deep sense of calmness.
Our Infrared heated studios are also a great way to help reduce stress. Hot Yoga will help you tone up, get lean and de-stress all in one class. Combined all of this with a healthy diet and you will feel the power of your breath in no time!