This week’s pose Extended Triangle Pose, Utthita Trikonasana transitions perfectly from last week’s pose Warrior II, Virabhadrasana II. Try linking the two poses together! Once in Extended Triangle Pose focus on radiating energy through all 3 points, the body, mind and soul.
Stretches the front leg hamstring, groin, side waist, chest, and shoulders. Strengthens legs and core. Improves balance, stimulates internal organs and digestion.
- Start in Warrior II Pose front foot pointing forward, front heel lined up with the heel or arch of your back foot. Back foot toes turned in slightly. Front knee directly over your ankle and hands in line with shoulders. Check out last week’s blog post, Warrior II Pose.
- Press into your front foot to straighten your front leg while keeping a micro bend in the knee (without locking out the joint)
- Shift your hips toward the back edge of the mat
- Reach your front hand forward to lengthen the bottom side waist over the front thigh.
- Place the front hand on the mat or a block under the shoulder and reach the top hand up to the ceiling.
- Press through all 4 corners of the front foot evenly and outer edge of the back foot.
- Torso is working towards square to the long edge of the mat. Hips are open but NOT square to the long edge of the mat.
- Spin the front inner thigh forward and outer thigh back.
- Lengthen all sides of the waist, focusing on the bottom side waist.
- Take your gaze, drishti to your top hand.
- Hold and breathe for 3-5 breaths.
- To release, lift the shoulders back over the hips and bend the front knee over the ankle to come back to Warrior II and repeat on the other side.
If your front knee is rotating in or you have sensation in the joints (ankle, knee, si joint) then try turning the back toes more in. If the neck feels strained then bring your gaze the same direction as your heart on down to the floor. If balance is a challenge then go against a wall for support.