This week’s pose of the week is Goddess pose, great for harnessing your inner strength! It is likely to pop up in both our yoga and fitness based classes! Give it a try and tap into your inner goddess!
Strengthens glutes, legs, core, back and arms. Stretches the hips and groin.
- Begin standing turned sideways in the middle of your mat in Tadasana, Mountain pose.
- Step your feet about a metre apart, but play around with the position as you get comfortable in the pose.
- Turn your toes out so your feet are at about a 45 degree angle.
- Bend into your knees, making sure that your knees stay stacked over your ankles. If you notice that your knees go past your ankles then take your feet further apart.
- Lift your arms out wide in line with your shoulders and bend your elbows to a 90 degree angle. Palms facing the same direction as your heart in cactus position.
- Press into the outer edges of both feet.
- Shoulders stacked above hips, core engaged and tailbone lengthening down to the mat.
- Hold and breathe for 3-5 breaths.
- To release step the feet back beneath the hips in Tadasana, Mountain pose.
If knees are falling in with more weight in the inner arches then turn the toes more forward and in. If you feel sensation in any of the joints then don’t bend as far into the pose. If you want to challenge balance then try coming up onto the balls of your feet!