This week’s pose is a classic! Supine Thread the Needle, often called #4 Stretch, is a great release for the hips. Next time you finish off an ABSolutely Burning Butt’s class give this one a try to release those glutes!
Stretches the glutes, hips, groin and lower back.
- Start lying on your back on the floor.
- Bend your knees placing feet on the floor about hip distance apart with knees stacked above ankles.
- Lift your right foot off the floor and place the outside of your right ankle on your left thigh (creating a #4 shape with the legs.)
- Lift your left foot off the floor to draw your left knee into your chest.
- Reach through your legs to grab behind the left thigh.
- Keep the head resting down and lower back pressing into the floor.
- Flex the ankles.
- Actively reach the right knee away from you as you draw the left knee into the chest.
- Hold and breathe evenly for 3-5 breaths – or more!
- To release let go of behind your thigh, return your left foot to the floor and then right. Knees can fall in towards each other or windshield wiper side to side.
- Repeat on the other side.
If lifting the left knee into the chest causes pain or negative sensation in the low back then return the left foot to the floor. If you cannot reach behind the left thigh then use a strap. If you feel bone on bone compression in the outside of your right hip you have reached your full range of motion.