This week’s pose of the week, Uttanasana, Standing Forward Fold, is a great opener for the back body! Surrender softly towards the earth and breath into the backs of the legs as the spine lengthens.
Stretches the hamstrings and calves. May aid in digestion, release stress and relieve symptoms of insomnia.
- Begin standing in Tadasana, Mountain pose feet around hip distance apart.
- Hinge from your hips, when you reach 90degrees allow a slight rounding of the lower back.
- Place your hands on the floor on either side of the feet or in front of the feet.
- If you cannot reach the floor or have sensation in the joints then bend into your knees.
- Allow the head to drop towards the earth.
- Press down evenly into all 4 corners of both feet, lifting the inner arches.
- Kneecaps point forward with quads are engaged without locking the knees.
- Lengthen the crown of the head towards the floor.
- Hold and breathe for 3-5 breaths.
- To release allow an inhale to lift you back up to Tadasana, Mountain pose.
If having trouble balancing then widen the feet. If hands do not reach the floor then bring the floor to you with a block or other prop.